I thought it would be fun to put together a little DIY GIFT GUIDE for this holiday season, of some of my favorite artists/institutions that are doing it for themselves! All of the links offer awesome books and/or crafts that were produced by the artist, and are affordable, cool gift options. In no particular order:
1. Marc Ellerby’s Ellerbisms collection! Ellerbisms is a beautiful, 200+ page graphic novel about a relationship told through Marc’s diary strips from 2007-2010. Marc started Great Beast, the british publisher that put out Ellerbisms with cohort Adam Cadwell. Although the shipping from the UK can be a bit of a killer, this collection is worth it, and definitely won’t be found in any U.S. stores for the time being. And if you don’t want to spend $$$ to have the book shipped overseas, you can buy a digital copy!
2. Adorable stuffed animals from Fluff Engine! Really well made, handsome plush toys by one of my friends from high school, Claire Sanders. As someone who owns several of Claire’s craft pieces, I can say with honesty that they are really creative and well made; the kind of toy that will last a lifetime. If you’d rather make your own based off Claire’s designs, she offers the patterns, delivered digitally, for really cheap!!
3. Year One by Ramsey Beyer! Yeah, I know I beat you guys over the head with Ramsey’s stuff, but watching her progression as a comic artist has been a really eye-opening experience for me. She’s super inspiring and her comics are what all autobio should strive to be: perfectly drawn and very self aware. Year One is a great gift for the indie comic fan in your life, and one that you aren’t as likely to find in a store. Pick up her other zines and mini comics while you’re at it; she’s doing a 20% off sale if you use the code THANKSPAL.
4. Silver Sprocket Bicycle Club! Avi and the gang at Silver Sprocket have curated a great group of punk bands and artists to bring you everything from bottle openers to records. The official merch table of Mitch Clem and Nation of Amanda, and the home of my Adventure Timeage Descendents parodies. If you can’t find something in this webstore that your friends will love, then I think it’s time to get new friends.
5. A subscription to Razorcake magazine! Giving magazine subscriptions is actually a really cool idea: it’s the gift that keeps on giving when it shows up in your mail box 6 times a year. Everyone likes getting mail, right? And if you want to stay up on the goings on in the DIY punk community, as well as be entertained by comics by Mitch Clem, Ben Snakepit, and yours truly every issue, there’s no better way! Only $15 to get a subscription to a really rad, ethically minded magazine is a pretty damn great deal: that’s only $2.50 per issue!!!
6. Personalized Liz Prince comics! Hey, did you think I was going to leave myself out? From now until Christmas you can request personalizations on all books ordered from my webstore free of charge (with the exception of the top shelf books, because those come from my publisher, and not from me). Simply order as you normally would, then email me if you’d like the books signed to a special someone. This will include a quick little doodle (but please do not request specific drawings or long tirades).